“Purple Up! For Military Kids”
Tuesday, April 15th
April marks the nation’s “Month of the Military Child,” a time to honor youth impacted by deployment. In celebration, Florida Operation: Military Kids (OMK), part of the 4-H Youth Development program of UF/IFAS Cooperative Extension, invites you to join us for the 3rd annual “Purple Up! For Military Kids.”
We are encouraging everyone across the state of Florida to wear purple on Tuesday, April 15th , as a visible way to show support and thank military children for their strength and sacrifices. Purple is
the color that symbolizes all branches of the military, as it is the combination of Army green, Coast Guard blue, Air Force blue, Marine red and Navy blue. OMK hopes everyone will take this opportunity to appreciate and celebrate these young heroes.
Be creative….the goal is for military youth to actually see the support of their community! Need some ideas to get you started?
· Ask local, regional, and state officials to wear purple on April 15th
· Spread the word by inviting newspaper and media outlets to feature a story about Purple Up! for Military Kids
· Involve area schools, sports teams, youth organizations and clubs, after school programs, recreation departments
· Engage the Chamber of Commerce, fraternal organizations, social clubs, and Rotary groups
· Request local businesses post a Purple Up! message on their roadside signs, and ask their employees to wear purple
· Ask stores and restaurants to offer a discount to all patrons who wear purple
· Invite coworkers, members of your spiritual community, exercise class, or golf league to join you in showing support for the military youth in your town
Remember to send us your photos to post on the Florida OMK website, where military youth and families from across the state will see them.